How can I configure a PCD to receive its IP address using DHCP?
A PCD equipped with a PCD7.F655 (firmware version 041 or newer) can request its IP configuration from a DHCP server. For enabling this feature a special registry key for PG5 needs to be created.
What are the prerequisites to use DHCP?
This functionality depends on the firmware version of the PCD7.F655 and can only be used with PG5 1.4.110 and newer. For PG5 1.4.120 a special registry key needs to be created for the configuration to be available.
How to enable DHCP configuration in PG5 Hardware Configurator?
For that the DHCP configuration can be selected a new registry key needs to be created:
- Open the Microsoft Registry Editor (from the Windows Start menu select "Run...", type "regedit" and run it by clicking "OK")
- In the Registry Editor browse to the key:
- On the right side of the window right-click the mouse and select "New" --> "String Value"
- Name this new String Value with "AllowDHCP". Note that this string is case sensitive!
- Double click this new String Value and in the appearing "Edit Sting" window enter "Yes" as Value Data. Also this string is case sensitive!
- Close the Registry Editor and (re-)start PG5. You should now have a new checkbox called DHCP in the TCP/IP tab of the Hardware Configurator.
Why is a special registry key needed?
We have introduced this feature hidden because the DHCP client functionality can only be used in special situations. In fact this configuration does only make sense if the PCD does only send requests but nobody needs to access it over Ethernet. If there are other devices that need to access the PCD (having received a dynamical IP address), these devices need to get the address of the PCD via another tool which is not part of the PG5 Controls Suite.
Local FAQ Deutschland / Project Manager
Last update: 27.05.2015 00:19
First release: 05.12.2006 17:48